Sunday, 22 March 2009

Earth Hour 2009, Part 1

Our school decided to sign up for Earth Hour 2009. In all my computer lessons from Grade 1 through to 6, I have spoken to the children about global warming, climate change and what they can do about it. That means I have spoken to children of varying ages about Earth Hour eleven times, each time making an effort to sound fresh and exciting - this might sound like a challenge, but as I spoke each time, I was rewarded with earnest little faces, frowning with concern and finally lighting up as I asked, "Who would like to be an Earth Hour agent?" Their determination, focused attention and enthusiasm fills me with hope both that for one hour many, if not all, of them might persuade their families to switch off their lights; and that for their lifetimes, their hopes and concerns for the future of our wonderful planet will grow and that they may transform our world.

2 comments:

hannere said...

I finally watched "An Inconvenient Truth" last night. Apparently Al Gore has delivered his slide show about global warming at least 1000 times :) Kinda makes you able to empathise with him?

Unknown said...

An interesting thought, yes, I guess inasmuch as he has a passion for his subject, I guess I do too. But the secret is a combination of the speaker's passion and the audiences' responses.