Sunday, 08 February 2009

Beware the Techno-god!

It has taken almost two years from those first blogs in a course on blogging, to get me to the point of deciding to actually blog on a more regular basis!

I'm intrigued at the pace with which technology is advancing and wondering where it will all end. I have a Twitter page now: http://twitter.com/lindsayhart purely at this stage to keep up-to-date with this fascinating communication too. I've chosen some people to follow (predominantly teachers involved in one way or another with technology), but can't really see how I will benefit from this. My biggest drawback is South Africa's lack of technology. So my MTN mobile phone number can not be linked to Twitter.

Now I find myself wondering - should I spend more money in order to buy a fancier phone and get a contract upgrade - and the answer is clearly, for me, NO. But what will most people decide? Do we really need to spend so much money on technology? Do we really need all this technology? The problem is that, if you're anything like me, the technology itself becomes fascinating and the desire to have the new gadgets in order to "play" with the technology is strong, sometimes overwhelming.

Therefore the conclusion I reach is to put God first in my life, for it would be so easy for me to find myself bowing to the Techno-god if I didn't recognise this flaw in me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you Linds. Proud of you for this decision.